ATM/Debit Card Safety Tips
- Treat your card like cash. Always keep your card in a safe place.
- Keep your "secret code," or PIN, a secret.
- Report a lost or stolen card at once.
Drive-Up ATM Security
- Observe your surroundings before making a transaction.
- If anyone or anything appears to be suspicious, leave the area at once.
- If an ATM is obstructed from view or poorly lit, go to another ATM.
- Take another person with you when using an ATM, especially at night.
- Minimize time spent at the ATM.
- Stand between the ATM and anyone waiting to use this terminal.
- Never count your money while at the ATM.
- Keep your doors locked, windows up and engine running while in line.
- Leave enough room between vehicles for a quick exit.
- Before rolling down the window to use an ATM, observe the entire area.
- If anyone or anything appears suspicious, drive away at once.
- If anyone follows you, drive immediately to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.
Point-of-Sale (POS) Security
- Never let the cashier or anyone else enter your PIN for you.
- Block the view of others when using the POS terminal.
- Be certain the transaction is complete and review your receipt before leaving.
- If you receive cash back from a transaction, put it away before leaving.